How To Choose The Right Windows For Your Home
There are a lot of designs to choose from when it comes to window styles. But keep in mind that each has a designated purpose.
- Casement windows are hinged on either the left or right and allow the glass panes to swing out like doors, providing some of the best ventilation for their size.
- Awning windows are versions of casement windows that swing out like a tent, preventing rain from hitting the screen or entering the house.
- Single hung windows feature two sashes. The top one remains stationary and the bottom one slides up and down.
- Double hung windows feature two sashes (movable panels) that slide vertically.
- Horizontal sliding windows can open left or right. They can also often lift out for easy cleaning.
- Fixed pane windows do not open and are used only for increasing light.
When it comes between the interior and exterior of your home, windows are definitely the thinnest point. That being said, you should make sure that you have the best quality. When it comes to energy efficiency and heat loss, the terms you’ll hear come up over and over again are R Value and U Value.
- R-value measures a window’s resistance to heat flow. The higher the R-value, the more efficient the window.
- U-factor measures how well the window prevents heat from escaping a home or building. The lower the number, the more efficient the window.
In order to make sure that you have an overall quality window, consider these popular materials that are tried and tested by consumers:
- Vinyl is popular due to its affordable price point and low maintenance requirements. Vinyl is also durable and provides good moisture resistance.
- Aluminium is a strong, affordable, and low-maintenance option, but it’s a big conductor of heat and cold.
- Wood is an expensive but very good-looking option. Wood insulates relatively well, but it also expands and contracts in response to weather conditions.
- Vinyl-clad wood is a premium alternative but provides the best of both worlds – the beauty of a wood interior and a low maintenance vinyl exterior.